Saturday, January 19, 2008

My VP not working!!!

Hey,

For those who haven't heard of VP, it's a videophone and it's a way deaf people can communicate with each other (it's been around for a couple of years). It is hooked to a TV and a high speed Internet service or DSL. As you can see in the photos, my daughter Abby and her friend, Jonah could see each other on the TV. The VP has features where you could click for a full view of the other person instead of seeing 2 pictures. I usually use that full view because I can see my friends more clear that way. They have relay service on the VP which is called VRS and I like using that to call my hearing friends, order pizza, make reservations with car rental, or stuff like that.

Anyway, today I had a VP call with somebody in Pittsburgh to talk about a deaf event that's coming up soon. That was about 2:30pm today, and it went well. Then another friend wanted to talk to me on VP tonight, so I went to call her at 9:30pm and it wouldn't work at all! I am desperate for it to get fixed because I have an VP interview tomorrow! While I'm trying to do all the trouble-shooting, I thought I'd do a blog about Abby's very first VP call.

Abby misses her friends in DC, so she asked me if she could VP one of her friends (back in Aug). She got on the VP for the first time with Jonah, and instead of chatting like I had expected, they got a pad of paper and started drawing pictures for each other! Cute, ha ha. They drew Pokemon, of course. In the next series of Abby's VP calls, she would run and grab one of our 3 cats to show them to her friends. We have a friend who has a little girl, and she likes to see Abby's stuffed animals. When I'm trying to talk to my friend, her daughter and Abby are shoving one of their stuffed animals in front of the cam, interrupting our conversations! During my recent VP conversation with my Texas friends, at my end it was just me and Abby but on the other end, it was a couch full of my friends and their kids! The kids were excited to see each other, so VP calls are fun!


See both kids are drawing at the moment.
Jonah was done first, then waiting for Abby to look up, so he started spinning in his chair.

No comments: